Marqués de Murrieta´s foundation is linked to the origins of the Rioja wines since Luciano Murrieta produced in 1852 the first Rioja wine and was also the first one to export his wines. Luciano, appointed Marquis by the King Amadeo of Savoy thanks to his work in Rioja, travelled to Bordeaux to learn the winemaking techniques that he introduced later in Spain. He established the concept of “château” in the Ygay Estate where he built the emblematic Ygay Castle.

In 1983 Vicente Cebrián Sagarriga, tenth Count of Creixell, took over the project. He modernized the winery and with his entrepreneurial vocation he continued the legacy of Marqués de Murrieta. After his death his eldest son, Vicente D. Cebrián-Sagarriga, current Count of Creixell, assumed together with his sister Cristina the management of the winery, accompanied by a young and qualified team. Over the years, the Count of Creixell´s family has become the perfect continuity to maintain the balance between tradition and modernity positioning Marqués de Murrieta in the 21st century in a privileged position in the world.